The previous week we had a great meeting at our youth group and God has shown our leader something amazing which I wanted to share to all of you. I want to keep it short, so here it is:
The basic Scripture: John 1:19-28
Our identity is primarily influenced by three very important things in our lives:
- our goal/ our perspective;
- our living/ our behavior;
- our accomplishments/ fruits/ successes;
- we will proceed toward a good goal
- our behavior will prove it alongside
- we will see accomplishments (reach the goals that we've set)
But in order to have a strong identity, three practical advices and steps should be followed. We should recognize that:
- we are not God, that means we are not independent ("I am not the Messiah"- John 1:20b)
- we do not have to be somebody else. God wants us to be genuine. ("They asked him, 'Then who are you? Are you Elijah?' He said, 'I am not.' 'Are you the Prophet?' He answered, "No."- John 1:21)
- God is the One who is telling us through the Bible who we really are! (John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet- John 1:23 a)
The one who has a strong identity will also recognize that God wants him/her to be original. If you understand this, you will not copy anybody and you will not strive to be as your friends, your leaders, your classmates, etc. but you will realize your uniqueness and you will walk in it! Thus, a strong identity is seen when you are living an original life, not a copy!
In order to have a strong identity, you have to understand that God is the only One, who tells you through His Word who you are. So, study what the Word of God is telling about you every day.
If you understand these, two signs will be displayed in your life, which will point to your strong identity:
- You'll be a voice! ("I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, 'Make straight the way for the Lord"- John 1:23b)
- You'll know that always something better is ahead of you!
And finally, if you have a strong identity and you point to Christ, you will know that the best is yet to come, because with Jesus better, more and beautiful things are continually growing till their fullness.